Posted on January 11th, 2010 in Coaching, Goals, Jaimie Field, Rainmaking, Training | 7 Comments »
This may come across as one big sales pitch for my business, but it truly isn’t. I may not be the right Rainmaking Coach for you but with the many thousands of people who hold themselves out at Business Development coaches in the legal industry you can certainly find one who is.
While I would love to see every Attorney out there successfully bringing in new business on a regular basis, I have no desire to work with those who aren’t interested in truly working to become thriving Rainmakers. Neither I, nor any Rainmaking or Business Development Coach, can do the work for you. We can only be someone who can help move you towards the success you are destined to be.
I will keep saying it over and over again until you believe it: becoming a rainmaker isn’t difficult. In fact, I truly believe “Rainmakers are not born, they are Taught. ©” (Yes, there are natural born rainmakers, but most attorneys did not go to law school to become rainmakers.) Yet, today, if you are not a rainmaker, you either don’t have a job or you don’t have a practice.
One of the questions I am constantly asked by prospective clients is: “Why should I hire a Rainmaking Coach?”
I can give you at least 6 reasons to hire a Rainmaking Coach:
1) Every superstar who has made it to the big leagues has a coach: Regardless of the sport or even business, most people have had someone in their lives who has helped coach them to the top and continue to help them stay at the top.
2) A Rainmaking Coach can provide unbiased feedback: A coach should have no hidden agendas. They can tell you when and where you are veering off course and try to steer you on the right path.
3) A Rainmaking Coach can help you define your vision: Many Attorneys do not know how to plan their Rainmaking Strategies to obtain the clients they are seeking. As a result, they perform marketing and business development activities in a haphazard fashion, on an intermittent basis, and wonder why it isn’t working. Your coach should be able to help you develop a plan which works for you and which you can do consistently.
4) A Rainmaking Coach can keep you on track: Life has a tendency to get in the way. With all of the distractions that can come with being an Attorney (and being a human being), sometimes business development gets put on the back burner. A good coach will be able to help you separate the “have-to’s” from the “want to’s”, freeing up your time to do more Rainmaking activities leading to new business.
5) A Rainmaking Coach can keep you accountable: Attorneys are at their best when they have someone they must answer to, whether it is a client, a judge, an opposing council, a board of directors. The work gets done. A Rainmaking Coach keeps you accountable for your activities, monitoring your progress and making sure you’re taking the actions necessary to become a great Rainmaker
6) A Rainmaking Coach can celebrate your successes and pick you up when you fail: We all need someone to pat us on the back when we do well; conversely, we all need someone who will lift us up when we are feeling down. Yet, in the business world we rarely get the accolades we deserve (even for the little wins) or have someone who can give us encouragement when things aren’t going as smoothly as we would like. Your coach should function as someone who can do both.
There are a plethora of reasons why you should think about hiring a Rainmaking Trainer/Coach – can you think of other reasons why having someone in your corner helping you grow your business would be worthwhile? Do you currently have a Rainmaking or Business Development coach who helps you? Are you happy with the work they are doing? Why or why not? Please comment below.
A future post will show you how to find the right Rainmaking Coach/Trainer for you.
(In the interest of full disclosure, I have a coach with whom I work, Jana Groscost-Matthews who functions for me in two ways: She is my both my business coach and spiritual coach. Jana has a background in business development, accounting and spiritual development and she is helping me find a new way to approach my life and my business.)