Posted on October 14th, 2013 in Goals, Jaimie Field, Networking, Productivity, Rainmaking, Referrals | No Comments »
The part of Rainmaking that I try to pound into my client’s heads is “follow up, follow up, follow up”.
But how many times should you try to get in touch with someone before you become a pest?
There is no magic number. While some may say 3 times, others say 6 times and some say more. But if you think about what you do for a living, being an attorney, you need to realize that many people may not need your service at the exact moment you meet them.
Rainmaking = Relationships
It is your job, as a rainmaker, to keep your name and services (and the services of your firm) top of mind at all times so that when a potential client, current client or even a potential referral, has a need your name comes up first in their heads.
For example: if you are a real estate attorney, a person you meet may not be buying a house or leasing a business space at that time. However, when they do (and statistics prove that at some time they will), you want to be the one they call. However, if you aren’t the first person they think of, they will go to someone else.
There are so many ways to keep in touch without bombarding them with “sales calls” or non-stop emails about your work.
- Send emails with information that is germane to their businesses or lives – it may have absolutely nothing to do with what you do. It’s about what’s of interest to them.
- Call to find out how they are doing – just a friendly “what’s going on with you” call
- Send newsletters about your work
- Invite them to a seminar or event – even if you are not the one giving the event or presenting at the event, it should be of interest to them. You can go with them and continue to build that relationship.
- Take them to a fun event – does your potential client like golf? Invite them to a golf outing that benefits another group or charity.
What other ways can you think of to keep in touch without “selling” your services?
Rainmaking, as I reiterate over and over again, is about creating relationships. Each time you “touch” a client, in many different ways, you have the opportunity to create and deepen a relationship.
Please forward this information to a colleague who you think would benefit; It must be forwarded it in its entirety. All information is the copyright of Marketing Field, LLC © 2013
Rainmaking Recommendations are sent the first and third Wednesdays of the month. They are bite size tips that when implemented will cause you to make rain. To learn more about Rainmaking, Goal Setting and Achieving the Life you want as an Attorney please contact Jaimie B. Field, Esq. If you have missed any of the previous Rainmaking Recommendations you can find them at www.jaimiefield.com The Enlightened Rainmaker Blog.
Did you know you can schedule an in-house, customized Rainmaking training workshop for your law firm? begin telephone or Skype individual rainmaking training from wherever you are in the world with Jaimie? Call or email for more information.